Phoenix UBelong Youth and Teens
Ages 7-17 years
Calling all 7-17 year old burn survivors, siblings, and children of survivors! Join the Phoenix UBelong family by participating in our 9th annual youth and teen program. This purposefully structured, three-day program runs alongside the general conference and offers a supportive atmosphere for self-expression, skill-building, peer support, and pure fun.
Our focus this year is learning to be unstoppable, connecting with peers, team-building, friendship, and inner strength.
Youth Track (ages 7-12)
- Offsite outing to Splitsville Lanes, where participants will enjoy bowling with their peers.
- A special session with the Bully Dudes to help participants learn and practice the skills it takes to recognize and stand up to bullies.
- Activities to work on group cohesion, team building, problem solving, and leadership as they make their way through the Phoenix UBelong Challenge Course.
Teen Track (age 13-17)
- Offsite outing to Knott’s Berry Farms
- A peer mentor visit from young adults. This is a favorite amongst our teens!
- 16 and 17-year-old participants will attend open mic with their young adult peer mentors.
All ages will enjoy small group time with their peers for fun activities and skill-building to help in their healing. Participants can participate in yoga to master coping and relaxation skills, or spend time with therapy dogs to help relax.
Requirements for the Phoenix UBelong Youth and Teen Program
- Children must be between the ages of 7-17 at the beginning of the Fall 2019 school year, and must have either personally experienced a burn injury, or have been affected by a burn injury of a member of their immediate family.
- Parents or guardians are required to be registered for Phoenix World Burn Congress and to sign their child in and out of the Phoenix UBelong program each day using a photo ID. The program runs from morning until afternoon; parents will be given designated pick up and drop off times specific to each day of the program.
- To allow for the best experience, we ask that you commit your child’s participation each day and for the full program length. Age-appropriate lunch and snacks are provided to participants daily.
To get the most out of these experiences participants must:
- Be able to withstand 5-7 hours of programming that involve some periods of physical activity
- Be able to adjust to new people, new places, and new things
- Have the ability to separate from parents for several hours
- Be able to follow directions from program staff
- Be able to cooperate with other participants in his or her age group
Registration and the waitlist for the Phoenix UBelong program is now closed. The program has a limited capacity, and was filled on a first-come, first-serve basis. Phoenix Society strives to provide a quality, safe, and meaningful experience for the Phoenix UBelong Youth and Teen participants. This requires that we limit the number of participants accepted into the groups and the program.
Register each child individually on the Phoenix WBC registration form. Be sure to indicate that your child will be attending the Phoenix UBelong program – regular registration fees apply. A Phoenix Society representative will personally contact you to confirm your child’s registration and help your family prepare for the event.
Note: Phoenix UBelong reaches capacity quickly. Plan to register your child early to secure a spot.
In the event that Phoenix UBelong reaches capacity, please familiarize yourself with our waitlist policy.