Take Charge of Burn Pain Research Study
Burn Survivors Participating in Research to Improve Burn Recovery
Take Charge of Burn Pain
Phoenix Society for Burn Survivors is working with the Johns Hopkins Burn Center to improve the lives of persons with burn injuries by developing and testing a new program to help burn survivors manage their pain.
What is Take Charge?
Take Charge of Burn Pain is a computer-based, online program that gives information and tips on how to manage pain following a burn injury. It is designed to work with your other treatments to help you decrease your pain and get back to the life you want. Pain affects your body, your mind and your activity. It complicates recovery and can make life difficult. This is where Take Charge comes in.
What is the research study about?
We are testing whether Take Charge of Burn Pain can help people like you manage pain following a burn injury. Your participation will help us learn more about how to aid others in their recover.
Who can participate?
If you have pain and
- Are 18—70 years of age
- Experienced a burn injury requiring hospitalization at least 6 months prior to enrollment;
- Are English speaking
What does study participation involve?
If you are eligible and agree to participate:
- You will need to use a computer to complete an online assessment about your pain, your function and how you are doing.
- You will use the computer to complete 7 online lessons at the Take Charge of Burn Pain website. We estimate it will take 25 minutes to complete each lesson.
- You will be contacted again at 2 months and 5 months to complete the same online assessment about your pain.
- You will receive $50 after completing all 7 online lessons, $50 for answering questions at 2 months and $50 for answering the same questions at 5 months.
How can I can learn more or join the study?
Please consider helping us with this project.
- To join the study go to www.takechargeofburnpain.org and click “join the study.”
- To learn more about study or talk to someone about the study go to www.takechargeofburnpain.org and click “learn more about the study.”
Thank you for taking time to learn about our project and your commitment to recovery following burn injury!
Take Charge Study Center
Johns Hopkins University
Tricia Kirkhart, Study Coordinator
600 North Wolfe Street
Baltimore, MD 21287