I’ve been a burn survivor for the majority of my life. Over the years, I’ve been in many scenarios where the person I was talking to found themselves at a loss for words…or just chose the wrong words.
The Phoenix Society Advocacy Award recognizes an individual whose advocacy efforts have brought greater awareness to the burn community by actively providing information, education and promoting positive change.
When people identify how you look – something out of your control — as generically bad, it is hard not to think...am I bad? Is this who I am? Is this how everyone perceives me?
The vision of Phoenix Society is to unite the voice of the burn community across the globe to profoundly advance lifelong healing, optimal recovery, and burn prevention. That’s a big, audacious vision. Some might say it’s unattainable. But as individuals impacted by burns and fire, we have a deep knowledge of what it takes to reach goals others believe are impossible. We understand that in the face of hardship, we rise.
As Phoenix Society’s reach grows, so does your impact. During 2016, you supported innovative program expansion, fostered strategic partnerships, and contributed to national advocacy efforts.
Read our updated 2015 Phoenix Society Facts & Statistics
MEBANE, N.C., Feb. 23, 2015 — NASCAR Sprint Cup champion Kevin Harvick and Kidde Fire Safety have teamed up to promote home fire safety and prevention. On Feb. 13, Harvick and Kidde donated Kidde smoke alarms with sealed 10-year batteries to the Florida Fire Marshals and Inspectors Association (FFMIA) at the Daytona International Speedway. Harvick is also spreading the word about fire safety by sharing his own personal home fire experience in new Share Your Story videos on Kidde’s website and YouTube channel. In late 2013, Harvick, his wife and his son escaped without injury when a fire abruptly started in their North Carolina home. Due to a working smoke alarm and a quick response from the local fire department, Harvick and his family members’ lives were spared and their home was saved. Since the incident, he has sought to educate the public about the importance of working smoke alarms and to show appreciation to firefighters. “I know first-hand that smoke alarms are a key factor in protecting what matters most — our families and our homes,” Harvick said.
Page 1 of 1 pages